Requesting a trial date

Now that you’ve gotten everything together, you need to schedule a trial date to fight your own speeding ticket. If you don’t request a trial from the court within a certain amount of time, you will be automatically found guilty. You’ll be required to pay your speeding ticket fine, and the speeding conviction will show up on your record. 

You have 15 DAYS AFTER THE DATE OF YOUR OFFENCE to file your request for a trial with the court before you are convicted. Some court offices may give you extra time, sometimes up to 30 to 45 days after the date of offence, but according to the Provincial Offences Act, you can be convicted after 15 days. 

To get started, you need to know whether you can mail your speeding ticket in to the court or if you’ll be required to file a Notice of Intention to Appear (NIA) form with the appropriate Provincial Offences Court (P.O.C.) office. The back of your speeding ticket should indicate whether you can mail it or not. 

If you’ve lost your speeding ticket, you have the option of submitting a Replacement of Missing Documents (RMD) form to get a copy sent to you. Contact the appropriate P.O.C. office to find out how to get a form and to obtain your Provincial Offences Number and date of offence. All you need is your driver’s license information, and the court clerks can look up the details of your speeding ticket over the phone.