After hearing your speeding ticket case and the prosecution’s case, the Justice will make his or her decision. This could result in anything from the speeding ticket case against you being thrown out to a lessened charge, or to the full charge levied against you originally. Remember that any appearance in court is a risk. Be prepared to lose and to not react badly if you do so. Always remain calm while in court; if you get upset and take out your frustration on those in the court, you could be found in contempt, which is a much more serious charge than what you are facing now.If the speeding ticket case is dismissed, congratulations! It will not appear on your record and you will have no fees to pay. Keep in mind that the prosecutor may appeal it, so make sure to still keep all your evidence on hand and stay in touch with your witnesses, just in case.

If you end up being charged, either with the full charge or a lessened charge, you will be given a penalty by the Justice upon the suggestion of the prosecution. You will have a chance to comment on the penalty, so if you feel you would face financial hardship as a result of the penalty, now is the time to say so. Back yourself up with your prepared budget. Let them know how much hardship you would face if the fee were levied against you

You can apply under section 52(2) (please check this and link) of the Provincial Offences Act (POA) to have your speeding ticket fine reduced or waived completely based on your financial situation. Address this section to the Justice and see what he or she determines. The Justice will also ask you how much time you will need to pay your speeding ticket fine. You usually have up to 15 days to do so, but you can apply to have as much time as a year if necessary.

If you feel your speeding ticket case was mishandled by the Justice or prosecutor, you can attempt to appeal the decision. Doing so is a lengthy and serious matter, so only make the attempt if you are sure you have a clear case as to how and why your speeding ticket matter was mishandled in court. Before attempting to appeal your speeding ticket, you should probably consult a law or paralegal firm for advice.